Three Hybrid Genie Z-60/37 FE booms perform paint job in Germany
Based in Schierling near Regensburg in Bavaria, rental company Biberger Arbeitsbühnen & Stapler Concept-B GmbH was consulted by a painting company for a big contract involving the complete paint-over of a Do-It-Yourself (DIY) store. The job demanded working outdoors at a height of up to 20 m (65 ft 7 in) for several months.
On visiting the jobsite, there were three key reasons why company owner and managing directors Mr. Martin and Mr. Benjamin Biberger recommended using a hybrid Genie Z-60/37 FE boom lift, instead of the diesel-powered articulating boom and scissor lift that their customer had originally asked for. Firstly, since the building was part of a busy commercial centre, for the contractor, low noise levels and low emissions were key factors. Secondly, the scissor lift could not access certain areas of the building. Thirdly, the Genie hybrid boom’s non-marking tyres avoided damaging the precinct’s tarmac and paving.
Relying on the Biberger brothers’ advice, the painting company set to work with the hybrid Genie Z-60/37 FE boom lift that it operated mostly in electric mode because it’s quiet operation and zero emissions meant a better working environment and did not disturb shoppers. Also, the company rapidly realized that without using diesel it was reducing its operating costs by around 10%. Consequently, when challenged for time due to the onset of cold, wet weather conditions, the painting company’s team was so enthusiastic about the Genie hybrid Z-60/37 FE boom’s performance that it decided to rent two more.
Co-owner and managing director, Mr. Benjamin Biberger explains: “Our customers are particularly interested in the cost efficiencies that this machine has to offer. On construction sites, electricity is free of charge, so by working the Genie Z-60/37 FE boom lift in electric mode, they can reduce their operating costs by up to as much as 10%. Additionally, the cost savings and environmental benefits provided by this machine make our customers more competitive. As soon as we explain its advantages, end-users are quick to catch on.”
He continues: “Customers are also extremely satisfied with its rough terrain performance. Unlike other designs, this model is particularly robust and economical to run and operators find it simple and easy to use. From a rental perspective, it’s a very cost-effective solution. Due to its indoor and outdoor capabilities, rates of utilization are high, which means that this model offers a higher gross margin than any of the other machines that we own. As an environment-conscious business, 80% of our fleet’s machines are hybrid or electric and only 20% are diesel-powered units. With Genie booms and scissor lifts counting for 80% of the machines that we own, our company’s focus on innovation speaks for itself.”
Based on its observations, Biberger rental confirms:
- It’s a versatile, environment-friendly “2-In-1” solution, well suited to an extremely broad field of indoor and outdoor applications.
- The batteries are powerful, so electric performance is great.
- The two operating modes (hybrid and electric) are adapted to a wide range of applications that lead to high returns on investment. In electric mode, the hybrid Genie Z-60-37 FE boom can perform a complete workday shift on one battery charge. In hybrid mode, it provides a full week’s runtime on a single tank of fuel, even in tough, rough terrain conditions.
- Its foam-filled non-marking tyres are an excellent option: the Genie Z-60/37 FE boom is often used by cleaning companies for indoor and outdoor tasks, and its tyres avoid marking sensitive outdoor as well as decorative indoor surfaces. As a result, the majority of company’s rental fleet is equipped with non-marking tyres.
- Operators also value the machine’s full-time oscillating axle system very highly as it enhances traction power on rough terrain by keeping the wheels in constant contact with the ground.