American Airlines Cargo shuttles 158,000T in Q2 2018
Driven by nearly 158,000 tonnes of freight, up from 144,000 tonnes the same time last year, American Airlines Cargo achieved record-setting growth in the second quarter, while also posting a record month in June.
Several key trends contributed to the record month and quarter. E-commerce related movements continue to support significant growth across the network, particularly out of Asia, Europe and Brazil, while pharmaceuticals, fruit and flowers were the largest growing commodities throughout the timeframe.
Other factors driving the success of the second quarter include:
- Trucking volume increased 13.6% year over year
- Flower traffic from Europe was up—especially from France and Holland
- A more than 800% year over year increase in the shipment of blood for medical purposes
- Several high-visibility large project shipments, such as the movement of more than 425 tonnes (385 tonnes) of engine and auto accessories from Japan—the equivalent of 1,800 massive V8 engines
- The sponsorship and transportation of valuable artwork from Madrid to the San Antonio Museum of Art
“Our entire team is thrilled to have achieved such a strong second quarter and June for 2018,” said Lori Sinn, managing director, Revenue Management, American Airlines Cargo. “This is a fitting indicator of the commitment of our people to excellent and timely service, as well as the growing number of customers around the globe who trust American to deliver their cargo quickly and reliably. We look forward to breaking more records in the future.”
The airline recorded its best June performance in more than 10 years. Operational performance for the entire second quarter was also near historical record highs.